I’m excited to share one of my favorite Quick Family Recipes with you today. It seriously takes no time at all to throw together, and it just happens to be the official pie for the State of Florida. I’m talking about Key Lime Pie of course, and it is the perfect recipe to kick off the summer! We are one of just a few states that has our own official state pie, so we’re lucky to live in Florida. 🙂
This one is only four ingredients (5 or 6 depending on if you buy store bought whipped cream or make your own to top it off. 😉 ). It’s the perfect recipe to make with your kids. This will help them with their egg cracking and separating skills in the kitchen…and it’s just super fun to make together. 🙂 This one uses so many eggs by the way, that as we are making the recipe, I’m always singing that Gaston song from Beauty and the Beast…you know, “When I was a kid I ate four dozen eggs.” LOL 🙂
You can find actual bottled key lime juice at your local grocery store. Check out the picture in ingredients below to see what it looks like. Make sure you buy actual key lime juice…this does not work if you buy just plain lime juice. If you’d like to make Lemon Ice Box Pie, you can switch in fresh lemon juice instead of the key lime juice, everything else stays the same. And don’t worry, we are baking this one, since there is raw egg in it. A lot of old Southern icebox pie recipes require you to make the pie and then let it firm up in the fridge, skipping the baking part. I’ve also included an idea in the instructions below about how to make sure your pie is perfect in every way and doesn’t crack when you put it in the fridge.
So let’s get baking…
- 2 Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2/3 Cup of Key Lime Juice
- 1 Pre-Made 10″ Graham Cracker Crust (You can also make your own if you want, but it’s summer, which means I’m usually looking for easy as possible. 🙂 If they don’t have a 10″, a 9″ pie crust is fine, just know that you’ll have some extra pie filling that won’t fit, which is ok by me because I’ll use it to make an extra mini pie this week. 😉 )
- Optional Topping: Whipped Cream (Store Bought or Make Your Own)
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, add in two cans of sweetened condensed milk.
- Separate the yolks from 6 eggs…everyone has their own way of doing it, but I’m a gadget girl and love my egg separator. 🙂 Discard the egg whites or save them to make a merengue or omelet later.
- Add just the 6 yolks to your mixing bowl.
- Turn on your stand mixer or hand mixer on low and blend together the eggs and sweetened condensed milk till it’s smooth.
- Add 2/3 Cup of Key Lime Juice to the mixing bowl and turn stand mixer or hand mixer on low again until all ingredients are blended together.
- Pour your smooth mixture into your pie crust. It will be on the creamy side and a little jiggly if you gently shake it.
- Bake on 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- When it comes out of the oven it will be firm and will not be loose. Trust me, don’t leave it in for more than 15 minutes, or you will over bake it. When you do this the first time your instincts will try to tell you it’s not ready. I always place a cake pin or use my thumb to gently touch and if you don’t find anything on your finger or on the cake pin, you are good to go.
- HERE’S THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP OF ALL! 🙂 Leave your pie on the counter uncovered for 20 minutes to cool. If you’ve ever had an icebox or custard pie with cracks running through it, it’s because they took it straight from the hot heat of the oven and put it in the super cold fridge. This time on the counter allows the pie to slowly come to room temperature before moving to the fridge…and that’s how you avoid cracks in your pie Charlie Brown! 🙂
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy! 🙂
Remember to share your pictures of making and enjoying this pie with your family. Just head on over to the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page to share them.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com.
P.S. If you like to make your own graham cracker crust, then you can also make this same pie recipe into mini mason jars. The recipe above will make about 12 mini mason jar pies. You’ll have to make the crust first and bake, then follow the same instructions from above. Top with homemade whipped cream when you are ready to eat and enjoy! 🙂 This is the Lemon Icebox Pie I was telling you about. 😉