Tip: Add the salt and pepper before boiling to allow the grit to absorb the flavor. For creamer grits, substitute ¼ of the boiling liquid with cream or half and half.
Serves 10 to 12
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 cup Yellow stone ground grits (suggestion: Anson Mills)
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces (6 slices) Velveeta cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 Large eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F.
2. Bring chicken broth, salt and pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Stir in grits, reduce heat to simmer, cover pan and cook 15 minutes, or until broth is absorbed, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Add Cheddar, Velveeta®, butter, and garlic powder, stirring until cheeses are melted. Set aside.
5. Beat eggs lightly in a small bowl. Whisk a small amount of eggs into hot grits, mixing well. Gradually whisk remaining eggs into grits whisking continuously. Whisk in milk.
6. Pour into greased 8-inch-square baking dish. Bake 30 minutes. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
To serve in a specific shape, cover and refrigerate until cooled. Cut in desired shape in pan and warm in oven on low heat before serving.