I don’t know about you, but I don’t love eating heavy, hot food when it’s hot outside! That’s why you’ll see me finding ways not to heat up the kitchen as we head into the spring and summer seasons.
This week’s Quick Family Recipe is a healthy avocado salad and is amazing to eat by itself or throw some grilled chicken over the top! It’s also the perfect side dish to serve on taco night!
I’ve also seen versions of adding feta cheese or even chopped red and green bell peppers for added crunch!
This is one of my favorites…I’m hoping it becomes one of your favorites, too! So, let’s get chopping together! 🙂
- 2 Avocados
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 3 Small Tomatoes (Roma or Vine Ripened)
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro (or Substitute Parsley)
- 2 Lemons
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Optional: Mix in Diced Red and Green Bell Peppers, Feta and Grilled Chicken for more of a meal.
How to Make:
- Wash and chop English cucumber into bite size pieces. Add to mixing bowl.
- Dice tomatoes, making sure to remove any liquid from seeds. Add to mixing bowl.
- Thin slice your red onion, then add to mixing bowl.
- After removing pit and skin, chop avocados.
- Wash and rough chop cilantro leaves, about half a bunch. Substitute fresh parsley if you don’t like the taste of cilantro.
- Combine juice of two lemons with olive oil and whisk together with a fork.
- Pour lemon olive oil dressing into your mixing bowl and add pepper. Mix everything together. I do not add salt. If you like it to be more salty, do not add until ready to serve, as salt will draw out the moisture in the veggies and make everything mushy.
- Serve and Enjoy! 🙂
Tyler loved how healthy this salad is, and Ellis was impressed with how good it tasted. We’d love to see your family enjoying it together. Share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com