Hello May…I feel like it’s pretty much summer since we are already dealing with temperatures as hot as the sun! 😉 I don’t know about you, but now’s the time that I start craving cooler dishes and salads. That’s where this recipe for avocado smash toast swoops in to save the day…it can be the perfect breakfast, snack or even dinner depending on what you add to it and did I mention how super easy it is to make?
I first ordered this dish for brunch while I was visiting Savannah…It inspired me to come home and start making it myself. I sat there in the restaurant questioning why I had never thought of it before…You can serve it as is for a fantastic energy packed snack or add an egg over the top to make the perfect brunch. Just imagine your buttery yolk oozing over your toast. Yum, I’m so hungry! 🙂 You can also make your favorite shrimp recipe to enjoy with your avocado toast for a simply healthy dinner that’s super filling, but not heavy. (Don’t have a quick shrimp recipe? Try this Quick Family Recipe for Shrimp Tacos that we made together in a previous recipe. 🙂 )
The combinations are endless…when I posted about this recipe, friends were quick to chime in with their favorites. Kaci suggested buying everything but the bagel seasoning at Trader Joes and sprinkling it on your bread as you toast it. Another friend, Jen, said she loved sprinkling parmesan and red pepper flakes on her toast. Personally, I’d like to combine the shrimp and the egg and serve it all together for the perfect brunch…is it the weekend, yet? 🙂
Your kiddos can help, too. Let them do the avocado smash for you while you are toasting the bread.
Ingredients (per two slices of toast):
- 2 Slices of Bread (The key to this dish is using really, really…I mean REALLY good bread. I love the 12 grain loaf from the Publix bakery.)
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium Avocado
- 1/2 Lime- Juiced
- 1/2 TSP Fresh Cracked Salt
- 1/2 TSP Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Optional: Shrimp or eggs
How to Make:
- Spread butter evenly on both sides of bread.
- Toast in nonstick pan on stove.
- While bread is toasting, combine avocado, lime juice and fresh cracked salt and pepper to bowl.
- Let your kids smash ingredients in bowl together with a fork or spoon so that it has the consistency of guacamole.
- Spread smashed avocado evenly over toast and top with fresh ground pepper.
- Serve as is or with a fried egg or shrimp over top.
This one takes less than 10 minutes to make from start to finish. My favorite part of this dish is the taste of the fresh lime and seriously the fact that it takes nothing to make this one!
We’d love to see your family in the kitchen making these recipes. Share your pictures on Twitter and Instagram using #ZRecipes.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com.