My husband loves meatloaf, so sometimes I try to switch it up and try new recipes. I came across a version of this recipe and I love it! It’s not healthy…I mean really, even if you switch out the ground beef for ground turkey, it’s still a little high on the calorie side…leave out the bread crumbs and this is perfect for my low carb friends. 🙂 This is one of those, make every once in a while recipes as a treat that will absolutely wow your family!
The meatloaf pretty much follows the meatloaf formula, but takes a left turn when you add shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, ketchup and mustard along with fried onions! I already admitted it wasn’t healthy! 😉
This one is the perfect recipe to make with your kids. Let them measure everything…make sure their hands are washed and make them do the dirty work of mixing it all together! It’s another one of those math building recipes that will help them with measurements…dinner and education, the perfect combo lol!
Let’s get cooking together…
- 1 LB Ground Chuck
- 1 Package Shredded Cheese (2 Cups)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Tsp Each – Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Package Bacon, Cooked and Crumbled
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 6 Oz Can Fried Onions
- White Bread
- Optional: Add 1/4 Cup of mayo to mixture if you find your meatloaf is too dense when cooked.
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, eggs, shredded cheese, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and crumbled bacon.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together ketchup and mustard.
- Add 1/4 cup of ketchup/mustard mixture to your mixing bowl, reserving the rest of the ketchup topping.
- Mix together using clean hands.
- In an oven safe pan, lay down slices of white bread. This will soak up all the grease while your meatloaf is cooking, and make sure your loaf is not sitting in a puddle of grease. It will also leave you with a relatively clean pan! 🙂
- Form meat mixture into a loaf. Place meatloaf on top of the white bread.
- Then take reserved ketchup/mustard mixture and pour over top of meatloaf. It creates a fun little crust when it cooks.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Add fried onions to the top and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler loved this dish! They haven’t stopped talking about this one. I was in a meeting when they tasted it and they interrupted the meeting to talk about how great it was! We’d love to see your family enjoying making and eating this bacon cheeseburger recipe together! Share your pics with Ellis and Tyler on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com