This week’s Quick Family Recipe is a breeze to put together and then the oven does all the work! We’re making Baked Apples and they are so perfect for a cozy night in with the family. It’s like making homemade apple pie without all the hard work! 🙂 The kids will love making this dessert with you.
Pick out your favorite apples and let’s get cookin together…
- 4 Apples (I LOVE Honey Crisp Apples, but you can use whatever apples you love)
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon or Substitute 1 Tbsp Apple Pie Spice or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 4 Slices of Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Water
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use an apple corer to core out the middle of each apple. You can use a paring knife and a spoon to core out the middle if you don’t have an apple corer.
- I found that using those rubber jar openers to help you grip the corer, makes it so much easier to remove the core.
- Place apples into a Pyrex baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the dark brown sugar, 1 tbsp of cinnamon (or the spice mix) and chopped pecans.
- I like to take a few whole pecans and stuff them in the bottom of each apple, just to help keep the filling from cooking out the bottom of each apple.
- Stuff the mixture into the core of each apple, packing in as much as possible.
- Place a slice of butter on the top of each apple.
- Pour 1/4 cup of water into the bottom of your Pyrex dish. This help create a caramel sauce from all the drippings that bake down into the dish. Perfect for pouring back over your apple and ice cream! 🙂
- Bake in the oven for about an hour until soft. I like using honey crisp apples because of the flavor and they hold the crispness of the apple. They take about an hour to bake. Other varieties may take less time. I start checking at 30 minutes and then check every 10 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Slice in half and serve with ice cream. Drizzle the drippings over the top of both for more flavor.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family enjoying making baked apples together! Head on over and share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com