Cabbage Rolls are so easy to make, and mine are topped with cheesy goodness. so everyone in the family will love them! This is a fun way to introduce more vegetables into your family’s diet! 🙂 Not only is there cabbage, but feel free to add chopped up carrots, cabbage, zucchini or other vegetables to the meat filling to make it a healthier filling!
This is a fun one to make ahead of time, so when everyone gets home from crazy schedules and before hangry sets in, you can throw this baby in the oven and have dinner on the table in no time. When I cook ground beef for a meal, I’ll sometimes brown double or triple what I need, then separate 1 lb into freezer bags. Next time I need cooked ground beef for a recipe (like this one), I just grab a 1 lb Ziploc bag out of the freezer…it’s already been cooked and ready to go!
I also throw my rice into the microwave the night before or in the morning, that way the rice is ready to go, too. That means all that’s left is assembling and baking to melt the cheese. All the ingredients are cooked at this point, so there’s no need to wait for eternity for your dinner to cook up. You are literally just warming everything up! 🙂
Let’s get cooking…
- 1-2 Heads of Cabbage – Cabbage Leaves (Left over from our Spring Garden Vegetable Soup recipe)
- 1 lb Browned Ground Chuck
- 2 Boxes Zatarains Spanish Rice Mix (Unfortunately my husband threw the box away, so in the pic you just have the cooked rice. I can’t complain, because he actually made the rice for me while I was at work, so I didn’t have to do the extra work or wait more time before making dinner! 😉 )
- 1 Jar Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/2 Small Can of Tomato Paste (Left over from our Spring Garden Vegetable Soup recipe)
- 1 Bag Shredded Cheese
How to Make:
- Assuming you’ve already made your boxed rice mix and cooked your ground chuck, let’s get started with the cabbage leaves. I bring a large stockpot of water to boil, then I add my cabbage leaves to the water. I leave them in the boiling water until tender. They usually turn bright green when they are ready. Remove and place leaves in a colander or on a paper towel.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add your cooked meat, cooked rice, 3/4 jar of spaghetti sauce and tomato paste. Mix well and keep stirring occasionally until mixture is heated through.
- Stuff leaves with rice and meat mixture, then make your roll. I try to wrap a little on the tight side. You are covering with glorious cheese, so don’t worry if they don’t look perfect! 😉
- Pour the remaining sauce on top and cover with cheese.
- Bake on 425 Degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and perfect.
- Serve and Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family enjoying cabbage rolls together! You can share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com