Back to School… hoping those three words bring joy to your family. I used to love going back to school! Mainly because I am extroverted and was basically raised as an only child because my sister was so much older than me, so I craved to be around people my own age. 🙂 I also loved it because it was fun to pick out all those new school supplies and it was always a fresh start. There’s just something exciting about beginning a new season.
The new season also brings a new busyness that we always seem to forget over the summer. Back to school is a time to try to get back in the routine of quick dinners together and bedtime routines after all the practices and crazy schedules that seem to keep us apart. This week’s recipe should help with all that chaos.
We’re making egg cups together…it’s a quick, healthy breakfast that you can make for the entire family a week ahead of time! You can add whatever you want like ham and cheese or spinach and feta, but I love this recipe because it also helps with dinner. I cook up my ground Italian sausage, mushrooms along with basil and add it to my spaghetti sauce to serve over zoodles. Before I add the sauce, I keep back some of my Italian sausage mixture. After dinner I make the recipe you’ll find below. Super easy…just take one out of the fridge and pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and you’ve got breakfast!!!
Let’s get cooking together…
- 11 Eggs
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 Package Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 Package Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Spray Pam
- Not Pictured: Salt and Pepper
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brown your ground Italian sausage.
- Wash and slice your portobello mushrooms. Rough chop the basil.
- Remove cooked Italian sausage from pan and add your sliced portobello mushrooms to the frying pan with your basil. ( I tried to stay healthy, so I did not cook these in butter…but you can, if you’d like to add more flavor. 🙂 ) Cook until softened, then remove from pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs with salt and pepper…like making scrambled eggs.
- Spray your nonstick muffin tin generously with spray pam.
- I usually place all my ingredients in bowls to create an assembly line.
- Now it’s time to layer! Add a spoonful of crumbled Italian sausage to the bottom of each muffin tin.
- Next add a spoonful of portobello mushrooms to each muffin tin.
- Before adding the egg, you’ll sprinkle on a layer of cheese.
- I like to mix my eggs in a pitcher, so I can easily pour them into each muffin tin.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. They are done when you can stick a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Flip over on a cooling rack or platter and serve. They should come out pretty easily!
- Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler are hoping you enjoy this quick, easy recipe this week together with your family. If you make it, we’d love to see your pics…you can share them on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com