My mom used to make the best stuffed shells. I love lasagna anything, but of course trying to be better about not eating all those processed foods, including pasta, makes it hard to enjoy! I have been intrigued with spaghetti squash for a while and finally decided to take the plunge on a recipe I’ve been thinking about.
So, I bring you spaghetti squash lasagna for this week’s Quick Family Recipe! I’ll tell you, there does seem to be more steps than usual, so I’ve broken it into four parts.
I love to make this recipe together with my family after we’ve already eaten! That way no one is hangry waiting for dinner. It’s a make ahead recipe that we can shove in the oven on a busy night.
So, let’s get in the kitchen and start cooking together!
- 3-4 Spaghetti Squash
- Olive Oil
- 24-32 oz Tub of Ricotta
- 3 Cups of Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lb Hamburger Meat
- 2 Jars of Your Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
- Optional: Italian Seasoning
Cheese for the Top:
- 1 Tub Fresh Parmesan
- 1-2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make:
Part 1: Roast Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half.
- Scoop out seeds.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over each half.
- Turn it over on pan so shell is facing up.
- Roast in oven for 1 hour. Squash is ready when you can pierce a fork through the skin.
- Take a fork when it cools and shred into spaghetti. I’ve found it easy to pull the peel off and then shred into noodles. But you can also shred right out of the shell. 🙂
- I usually put all of my spaghetti squash in a large colander to allow to drain off the excess moisture!
Part 2: Filling
- Dump ricotta, mozzarella cheese and egg into a mixing bowl.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper to the bowl.
- Mix together with a spatula.
Part 3: Meat Sauce
- Brown hamburger meat in a pan.
- Add 2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce. I always doctor mine up with Italian herbs like oregano, parsley, basil and thyme.
- Let simmer until you are ready to use.
Part 4: Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- In a 9×13 baking dish, get ready to layer!
- I always put down a layer of sauce first…they say it helps it not to stick, but I must admit, it’s something my mom did, so I do it, too! 🙂
- Add a layer of spaghetti squash.
- Next add a layer of ricotta filling and smooth over the top with a spatula. Once you start working with it, it starts spreading easier.
- Pour over a layer of meat sauce.
- Sprinkle a layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layering…spaghetti squash, ricotta filling and meat sauce.
- Top with parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- You can put tinfoil over it and place in the fridge overnight until you are ready to bake and eat it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered in tinfoil.
- Remove tinfoil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice and Enjoy!:)
Tyler was soooo impressed with this one. We don’t want to fake anyone out, so get the kids involved from the beginning. They are more likely to try something they helped make over not trying it because of vegetables. We’d love to see pics of your family enjoying this recipe! Share them on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com