We’ve entered the picnic and bbq season which means it’s time for cold salads. One of our favorites is coleslaw. My husband loves putting it on top of his pulled pork sandwich. I always ask, don’t you know that’s a side dish? It’s not y’all, lol. If you’ve never tried it, it’s a delicious addition to any bbq sandwich. Ellis says that’s a Carolina bbq thing. All I know is they call it the messy pig or messy cow at 4Rivers and it’s tasty. 🙂
I started making my own coleslaw for a few reasons – fresh is always better and I can control the amount of sugar that gets added to my dish.
There’s also several ways to cut up your veggies. If you have a food processor, you can run all your veggies through the grater, which finely chips it all up like Chick-Fil-a’s coleslaw used to be. You can hand chop to have crunchier bites or you can buy a bag of slaw mix that’s already been chopped up for you and you just make the dressing.
Let’s get choppin…:)
Coleslaw Dressing –
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 1 Tsp of Celery Salt
- 1 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/4 to 1/3 Head Purple Cabbage (You’ll notice below that I went heavy on the purple cabbage, so it was really purple. If you want a better mix, try staying closer to using a 1/4 to a 1/3 instead of equal parts. 🙂 )
- 1/2 Head Cabbage
- 3-4 Carrots
How to Make:
- In a mixing bowl, add mayo and combine all the salad dressing ingredients.
- Please dressing in fridge.
- Clean all of your cabbage and carrots to prepare for chopping or grating.
- If you can, wash the cabbage when you first get it and place in fridge so it has time to dry, especially if you are grating.
- For chopping, chop both cabbage into thin slices (like you are chopping an onion). Then chop in half for bite size pieces. I would still grate the carrots if you have a food processor.
- For Grating, place your grating blade on your food processor and run all the cabbage and carrots through.
- In a large bowl, mix all 3 grated or chopped veggies.
- Pour in homemade dressing and combine.
- Place in fridge overnight. Magic happens when all the flavors have a chance to chill together.
- Serve cold and enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family grilling out and enjoying these Quick Family Recipes together! Head on over and share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com