When I was growing up, I was allergic to cheese so I could never fully appreciate the casserole…that is until I grew out of it at the age of 17. Then I caught up on all those creamy, cheesy dishes I had been missing out on pretty quickly!
This is one of them…it’s a chicken broccoli and cheese casserole, except I don’t have time to prep and separately cook all this food and then throw it in the oven forever.
So I created my own crockpot version and my husband loves it! Super easy to make and it’s gonna create a ton of leftovers, so get ready!
Let’s get cooking together…
• 1 lb Chicken Breast
• 2 Boxes Frozen Chopped Broccoli Pieces
• 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth or Stock
• 2 Cans Cream of Mushroom or Chicken Soup (or 1 of each)
• 2 Cups of Dry Rice, Cooked
• 2 Bags Shredded Cheese
How to Make:
• In a crockpot, add frozen chopped broccoli pieces to the bottom.
• Add chicken breast on top of that. All I could find was a chicken breast already cut up into strips, but whole chicken breasts are cheaper. No matter what you use, you’ll be shredding at the end anyway.
• Pour in chicken stock (or broth) and both cans of cream soup (or 1 large can like I found).
• Place lid on crockpot and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
• While cooking, go ahead and cook your rice however you like to make it. I just add 2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water to a microwave safe bowl. I add 2 tablespoons of butter along with salt and pepper and microwave it for 20 minutes. It comes out perfect every time.
• When chicken is cooked, take two forks and shred chicken then stir everything together.
• Pour in cooked rice and mix together.
• Add shredded cheese and mix together and then add second bag over the top. Replace lid on top of crockpot and keep cooking it on high for about 5-10 minutes until cheese melts and starts bubbling.
• Enjoy! 🙂
Tyler loves her crockpot recipes, and she’s gonna love this one, too, because it will feed a small army for days and days. We’d love to see your family making this dish…share your pictures with us on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com