This week’s recipes is one of my favorites! When I was growing up, anytime we’d go somewhere selling Italian Sausage and Peppers, my momma would always order it. The taste and the smell of the fennel seeds is unique to Italian Sausage and it’s one of my favorite tastes.
But, cooking sausages on the stove or on the grill is always a mess. Grease splatters everywhere and they take forever to cook. So I usually avoid the mess…well not anymore! Now there’s a crockpot option! Everything thrown together in one pot and cooked on low and slow to perfection. We can’t get enough!
Let’s get cookin…
- 2 28 Oz Cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 12 Oz Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Basil
- (Or replace the above 3 individual herbs with 3 Tbsp of Italian Seasoning)
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Pepper
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2-3 Green Peppers Sliced
- 1-2 Sweet Onions Sliced
- 1 Package of Hot Italian Sausages
- Optional: Hoagie Rolls and Provolone Cheese or Noodles
How to make:
- In your crockpot dump both cans of crushed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste.
- Add 1 Tbsp Oregano, 1 Tbsp Thyme and 1 Tbsp Basil or replace the individual herbs with 3 Tbsp of Italian seasoning to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp Salt and 1/2 Tbsp Pepper to your sauce.
- Add 2 minced cloves of garlic to the sauce.
- Drizzle 3-4 rings of Olive Oil around the top and stir the sauce.
- Add in 2-3 sliced green peppers and 1-2 sliced sweet onions to the crockpot.
- Add in your package of hot Italian sausages and cover with sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve on hoagie rolls topped with Provolone cheese or over noodles.
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family enjoying dinner together! Head on over and share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com