I don’t know about you, but in my family, oven space is precious on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day! So, when I heard about people making their sweet potatoes in the crockpot, I just had to try it!
I was a little hesitant about how this would work, but oh my goodness, I’ll never go back! My sweet potato casserole will now always be done in the crockpot. That marshmallow cream melted over the top just made the entire dish! My momma was surprised and impressed to hear that you cook the sweet potatoes in the crockpot and it’s all done in one pot! Such a timesaver and easy for clean up!
P.S. If you are like my momma and make a pecan streusel for the top of your sweet potato casserole, it works on this, too… just put that topping over the top at the last minute instead of the marshmallows and enjoy!
Let’s get cooking together…
- 5-6 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sticks of Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie or All Spice
- 1 Bag of Marshmallows
- Slice skin off sweet potatoes and cut into cubes. Place into crockpot. (This can be done ahead of time to save even more time on Thanksgiving Day!)
- Melt butter in a dish in the microwave. Add pumpkin pie spice and vanilla to the melted butter.
- Add brown sugar.
- Use a fork to stir together.
- Pour butter mixture over the sweet potatoes in the crockpot and mix together.
- Cook in the crockpot on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until tender.
- Use a masher to mash your sweet potatoes in the crockpot. I like mine chunky, so I used the masher, but you can also use an electric mixer in the crockpot if you like yours smooth.
- Dump an entire bag of marshmallows over the top about 10 minutes before serving. Place lid on top and cook on low.
- Put a serving spoon in the crockpot and add it to the buffet line…perfection!
- Serve hot and Enjoy! 🙂
Tyler was really impressed that this was all done in the crockpot. She always has to run home from her family dinner and use her own oven, so this recipe will definitely help! We’d love to see pictures of your family enjoying this recipe! You can always share them with us on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com