Chili is a fun dish to make when it’s cold outside! My momma always used the packet until she realized we could save money by making our own. She also used it as a teaching moment for me to learn how to measure and work with fractions.
What I’ve found by making my own is that I can control the salt and preservatives that go into the food my family makes.
This is also a fun dish to make for game day. Make a huge pot of it and then set up a toppings bar for your friends and family to enjoy during the game. It makes a super impressive spread and is also great served with the Skillet Cornbread we made last week.
Let’s get cookin….
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1/2 Onion Chopped
- 1 – 28 Oz Can Crushed Tomatoes (Use sauce or diced or whatever tomatoes you have in your pantry. You can’t go wrong, but I prefer the big can of crushed tomatoes over the sauce I had in my pantry. 🙂 )
- 1 Can of Rotel (Not pictured below)
- 2 Cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, Drained
- Chili Seasoning Spice Blend – 1/3 Cup Chili Powder, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 1 Tsp Cumin, 1 Tsp Garlic Powder, 1 Tsp Oregano and 1 Tsp Salt. Optional: Add 1/4 to 1 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper if you like the kick.
- 1/4 Cup Mesa Flour
- 1 Cup of Water and 1/3 Cup of Water Separated.
- Optional Toppings: Cheese, Sour Cream, Diced Onions, Diced Jalapeños, Fritos , Oyster Crackers all make good toppings for your homemade chili. 🙂
How to Make:
- In a bowl, mix together the Chili Seasoning Spice Blend (1/3 Cup Chili Powder, 2 Tbsp Paprika, 1 Tsp Cumin, 1 Tsp Garlic Powder, 1 Tsp Oregano and 1 Tsp Salt. Optional: Add 1/4 to 1 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper if you like the kick). That’s going to make your chili seasoning! Set aside.
- In a large pot, add olive oil to the bottom and then add your chopped onion to the pan.
- Let your onion cook down a little bit before adding your ground beef.
- Brown your ground beef, then drain out the extra liquid before adding anything else to the pot.
- Add in your 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (even though pic shows smaller can of sauce, it’s what I had in my pantry…Trust me, it’s much better when you use the 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes instead of adding more water. 😉 ) and a can of Rotel.
- Add in your 2 cans of drained Dark Red Kidney Beans.
- Dump in 1 cup of water (reserving the 1/3 cup for later).
- Stir in your spice mix and let simmer for 15-20 Minutes.
- In a bowl, take your 1/4 cup of Mesa Flour and mix together with 1/3 cup of water. Use a fork to stir together and get rid of the lumps.
- Pour your Mesa Mixture into your chili stir together. This is going to thicken up your chili!
- Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes and you’ve got the best chili ever made!
- Top with your favorite toppings and Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler would love to see how much fun you have making your chili or setting it up for a party… You can share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com