It’s winter time in Florida, which means some nights will be cold, like in the 40s and 50s! That’s when we want something hearty, but also the new year is about trying to be healthy, too! So that’s when we get excited about soup…not just any soup, but my momma’s famous French Onion Soup!
It’s so fun to make on a night when you’ve already eaten and you are spending time together as a family. That way it can be ready to eat for tomorrow nights dinner and no one is hangry! This is another Quick Family Recipe your kids can make for you….especially since crying your eyes out while cutting onions is part of the deal. I’m not crying, you’re crying! 🙂
My healthy eaters will love this Soup as is, served with a nice turkey sandwich or salad. My low carb friends will love it topped with bubbly brown Swiss cheese. It’s also really good with a slice of French bread served over top and then add two layers of cheese and baked to a golden brown…but that’s not the healthiest version of this soup! 😉
So let’s get cooking together…
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 12 Onions, Thin Sliced
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Boxes of Beef Stock (8 Cups)
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme
- Optional Toppings: French Bread and Swiss Cheese
How to Make:
- Thinly slice all of your onions. You’ll have about 12-16 cups of onions.
- In a large stock pot, add stick of butter over medium low heat and allow to melt.
- To the pot, add onions and salt. Stir together to make sure everything is covered by the butter.
- Over the next hour, stir occasionally, especially as you get to the end of the hour to make sure the bottom does not burn. Keep scraping the brown bits at the bottom of the pan back into the onions. Your onions will start caramelizing toward the end of this time.
- Turn on low and continue to stir occasionally for 15 more minutes. Again, not allowing anything to burn to the bottom of your pan. Your onions should be caramelizing nicely at this point. The longer you allow to brown, the richer the flavor of your soup will be!
- Add your 2 boxes of beef stock, thyme and water to the pot and stir together.
- Bring soup up to a boil then turn to medium low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes!
- Soup is ready to enjoy, unless you want to add toppings. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit!
- Spoon soup into oven safe containers and top with a slice of French bread and 2 slices of Swiss cheese. Place in an oven safe dish to prevent drip overs in your oven. (Bread also holds up better if you toast it first.)
- Bake until cheese is bubbly brown.
- Serve with your favorite sandwich or salad and Enjoy! 🙂
This one is a fun one to make while your sitting in the kitchen table playing game night. Set the timer and let everyone have stirring duty every 10 minutes. It’s a quick stir and then right back to game night. Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family enjoying this recipe together. Share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com