We’re just a couple of weeks into the New Year and I’m still working hard to stick to my better food choices resolution. My husband and I have a favorite restaurant in town and we’ve been ordering this salad. By the time you add chicken to it and order for both of us, it’s way beyond what I feel comfortable paying for a salad.
So, as we were enjoying it last time, I decided to break it down and try to make it at home. It was super easy and even with my guess work on the dressing, it’s still pretty close. I’ll never order it out again!
I love that it works for our friends trying to be healthy. Also works for friends like me who are trying to stay low carb. But at the end of the day, it’s just a really good dish all the way around even if you aren’t trying to be healthy! Crunchy, fresh and filling. I’m seriously obsessed with this salad!
Let’s get chopping together…
- 1-2 Green Bell Peppers
- 1-2 Red Bell Peppers
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 Box of Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- Kalamata Olives
- Optional: Grilled Chicken or Salmon, Feta Cheese, Lemon Wedges to Squeeze Over Top, Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Heaping Tbsp Greek Seasoning
- 1/2 Lemon, Juiced
- Clean all veggies, then dice into bite size pieces. Add all diced veggies to a large mixing bowl.
- I always keep an extra bowl nearby to hold all my trash…all the pieces of the veggies you won’t use. That way I don’t have to keep running to the trash can.
- In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Greek seasoning and lemon juice to a bowl. I used my hand mixer to emulsify the dressing. That just means it combines the liquids when usually the two liquids wouldn’t regularly combine together (oil and vinegar). You can also do this with a fork or a whisk and a lot more work.
- Pour homemade dressing over diced vegetables. Place lid on bowl and shake to combine.
- Sprinkle Kalamata olives over the top, and serve as is or with grilled chicken, salmon and / or Feta cheese over the top.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis loved this dish because it was low carb! Tyler, who tries to be healthy, still couldn’t get into all the vegetables. We’d love to see pictures of your family enjoying these recipes, too! Please share your pics with us on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com