I love summertime in Florida, because it usually means grill nights in our family. I grew up in a house where my dad was the master of the grill, while my momma worked hard on the side dishes inside.
It’s funny how we tend to do the same things our parents did without questioning. One day I decided to try grilling sweet potatoes and serving with melted cinnamon butter. I shared that recipe earlier with you guys. That got me thinking…what if we grilled the whole meal? Why are we heating up the house at all?!
So, this week’s Quick Family Recipe is all about the side dishes…that are perfect to make on the grill. Our entire family feast can be made on the grill!
Let’s get grilling together…
- Veggies – I used Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Red Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes. Other options include Mushrooms.
- Olive Oil
- Salt (For After)
How to Make:
- Wash and prep all of your vegetables. Make sure to slice as evenly as possible, they all cook evenly. If you don’t, some thicker slices won’t be as cooked while other thinner slices will burn.
- Drizzle olive oil over all of the vegetables, making sure all sides are coated.
- I usually sprinkle pepper on my veggies before grilling, but reserve the salt for after. Salt will draw out the moisture, which won’t allow them to crisp up as much.
- Place on grill. Only flip once when the faced down side is cooked through. The thicker the potatoes, the longer it will take to cook on each side. Usually a couple minutes on each side. The smaller brussel sprouts will cook faster. Depending on the size of the asparagus, that may cook quick, too. I had to share a pic of my sweet husband Andrew…who is the master griller in our home! 🙂
- As soon as they come off the grill, I season with salt.
- If I can’t fit everything on the grill, sometimes I put my veggies in the oven on warm to keep them warm while I cook the meat.
- Serve with dinner and Enjoy! 🙂
Tyler loves the sweet potatoes served with the melted cinnamon butter. My favorite right now is the grilled red potatoes, but my favorite changes every time we cook. 😉 We’d love to see your pics enjoying these recipes with your family. Share them with us on Z88.3 Morning’s Facebook Page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com