If you are like us, you are trying to hold onto summer as long as possible. It seems to be flying by this year! This week’s Quick Family Recipe is one part cool and another part nostalgia. We’re taking the time to make memories in the kitchen by making homemade vanilla ice cream together!
This is an easy 3 part recipe that I got with my Kitchenaid ice cream maker attachment. Even though there’s a lot of time between making it and the payoff of eating it, it’s definitely worth the effort! It will also help teach the kids a little patience, and that’s never a bad thing either, right? 🙂
Let’s get cooking together…
- 2 1/2 Cups Half and Half
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 Cups Whipping Cream
- 4 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
How to Make:
- In a pan on the stove warm up half and half, bringing it almost to a boil, but not quite.
- In your kitchen aid stand mixer or a bowl with a hand mixer, blend together your sugar and eggs.
- Slowly pour in your warmed half and half and continue mixing.
- Pour this mixture back in pan and cook over medium until small bubbles begin to form on side, not boiling.
- Pour into large bowl with air tight lid. Slowly add whipping cream, salt and vanilla extract, whisking together by hand with a whisk.
- Cover bowl and place in fridge to chill for at least 8 hours! I like to make this part at night before going to bed.
- In the morning, you can add your mixture to your ice cream maker and let it mix for about 15-20 minutes, until you like the consistency.
- Side Note: If you have the Kitchenaid attachment, make sure to freeze the bowl overnight. If you have a different type of ice cream maker, follow the directions on how to chill. You can also use a hand mixer on low, so you don’t whip to much air into it. Try freezing the bowl you use to mix it in. Then freeze.
- I prefer to transfer to freezer at this point to allow to freeze and set up like normal ice cream, but you can also serve at this point.
- Enjoy your ice cream! 🙂 It’s fun to make homemade ice cream sundaes or serve a la mode over the homemade peach cobbler we made last week!
We love to see your family in the kitchen together! Share pics of your family enjoying your homemade ice cream with Ellis and Tyler on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com