We’re always looking for fun side dishes to serve at dinner and this week’s Quick Family Recipe is super easy to make and oh so nice and creamy! Perfect to add to any meal.
There are only two of us in my family, so I always make smaller side dishes! Since I was making a macaroni salad, I went ahead and made the whole box of elbow noodles and used half for the salad and half for this recipe. You can double the recipe below if you have a huge family and need more.
Either way, mac n cheese is a staple on the dinner table, but it doesn’t always have to be from the little blue box! 😉
Let’s jump in the kitchen together…
• 1/2 -2/3 Box of Elbow Noodles
• 2 Tbsp Butter
• 2 Tbsp Flour
• 2 Cups of Milk
• 2 Cups of Shredded Cheese
• Salt and Pepper
• 1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers
• 1/4 Cup of Butter Melted
How to Make:
For a printable version of this recipe, Click Here.
• Bring water to a rapid boil and cook noodles according to directions. You want them to be between al dente and firm. For my box, that was 6-7 minutes. I always add salt to my water, too.
• Strain water and set aside till needed.
• Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
• In a large pan, melt butter with flour over medium heat. We’re making what’s called a rue. It will thicken your cheese sauce without making it this oily cheese mess.
• When the flour and butter are melted together, it starts to look like a thick paste, slowly whisk in milk.
• When milk starts to bubble, it will magically start to thicken thanks to that butter and flour mixture. That’s when you turn the heat off and add the cheese, salt and pepper.
• Whisk it together until all the cheese is melted and you are left with this beautiful cheese sauce.
• Dump the cooked elbow noodles back in and combine with cheese sauce.
• Pour into an oven safe dish.
• In a baggie, crumble up the ritz crackers.
• Add to 1/4 cup of melted butter and combine.
• Evenly distributed crumb topping over top the mac n cheese.
• Bake on 350 Degrees for 45 minutes or until ritz cracker topping is golden brown!
• Serve hot and Enjoy! 🙂
Can’t wait to see how this dish turns out for you! Share your pictures and let us know on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com