We’re making overnight oats. Your kids can make their own breakfast with you the night before and then it saves you the chaos of trying to get breakfast ready in the morning. It’s also a fun activity to do together instead of watching tv. We always make them after we are done with dinner, because no one wants to be around the family when they are hangry. 😉
I grew up in the 90s on all those boxed breakfasts…pop tarts, Eggos, sugar cereals, toaster strudels, if it had bad carbs, it was pushed on us for breakfast lol. I’m convinced that is why it is so hard now to eat those egg white omelet things and other breakfast items deemed healthier options. When I figured out this week’s Quick Family Recipe I was in heaven…best of both worlds, healthy AND tasty! 🙂
Let’s get cookin…
- 1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
- 1/2 Sliced Up Banana
- 1/4 Cup of Blueberries
- 1/8 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk (or any other milk or yogurt of your choice)
- Optional: Chia Seeds, Other Sliced fruit like strawberries, Other Chopped Nuts like pecans or walnuts, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla extract or anything else you can think of to add. I like to keep it simple, so I add the above list and end at the coconut milk. 🙂
How to Make:
- In a bowl or mason jar, add your 1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats.
- Add your sliced up fruit.
- Add your sliced nuts.
- Drizzle on your 1 tbsp of honey.
- Pour your 1/2 cup of milk over the top. I always do this step last, so it soaks down into the fruit and the oats.
- Do not stir. Place the lid on your bowl and put it in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning grab your jar out of the fridge and use your spoon to mix it all up.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family making overnight oats together and want to see the twists you add to the recipe! Head on over and share your pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com