This week’s recipe may seem like I’m wasting your time…everyone can chop veggies and add it to a salad, right? Well, we’ve been making this super easy basic salad as a side dish my whole life. It wasn’t till the last few years making it for friends that I realized just how special this salad recipe really is. Because we are layering ingredients, everyone gets a bowl full of lettuce and toppings without having to mix everything up. I’m all about justice, and those portions better be fair lol!
It’s fresh and crisp…and the secret is not adding salt. Salt draws out all the liquids from veggies, which is what makes your salad so soggy. No one likes mushy salad. The beauty of this one is, you still get the flavor from the pepper and it stays crisp for days! Some people even think I’ve added a homemade dressing, but I haven’t. Pepper is magical! 🙂
It’s super quick and takes less than 5 minutes to throw together. That’s why this is the perfect dish to make as a side for your summer grilling and definitely the perfect dish to take to a friend’s party. Your friends will rave if you make this salad for them. Throw grilled chicken on top and it can also be your main meal!
So let’s get chopping…
- 1-2 Romaine Lettuce Bunches (Depending on size)
- 2-4 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- Your Favorite Salad Dressing
How to Make:
- Clean all your veggies and dry them as much as possible.
- Grab a good knife, cutting board, a fun bowl and get to work!
- Chop half of your lettuce and add to the bowl.
- Mix pepper in with your lettuce.
- Cut half of your tomatoes and add on top of your lettuce.
- Cut half of your cucumber and add to the top of your salad.
- Repeat those steps to create the next layer. Add in the other half of your chopped lettuce.
- Mix pepper in with your second layer of lettuce.
- Cut the remaining half of your tomatoes and cucumbers and add on top of your lettuce.
- That’s it! Serve with your favorite salad dressing and Enjoy! 🙂 The beauty is that no matter where someone scoops out their salt from, there will be an equal ration of toppings to lettuce…and in the end, that’s all that really matters, right? 🙂
P.S. Sometimes I add other toppings to each layer, like chopped green onions, bacon bits, hard boiled egg, turkey, salami, grilled chicken…the possibilities are endless, but the basic salad above makes the perfect quick and easy side dish!
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family enjoying making this super easy salad together! Head on over and share your QFR pics on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook Page!
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com