My husband absolutely loves this meal and I’m afraid to tell him how easy it is to make, because I want him to continue being impressed with me lol. 🙂 Spinach salad…Ellis, wasn’t impressed until he tried it. It’s the warm homemade dressing that makes this dish!
It’s also a great recipe to use for meal prep. You can literally set out 8 containers and make all 8 salads at once for a week of meals or make one big batch to serve at the table. It’s kinda fun to make individual bowls even for dinner, because you let each family member shake up their own salads.
I love summer recipes, because it’s a good time to make dishes like this by making extra from other meals. You can top this with any leftover grilled chicken, steak or shrimp. I always hold out a few slices of bacon from breakfast to make these salads. Summer is a great time to make deviled eggs, so I also always hard boil a few extra to use for this dish. Then you top it off with cashews, which are way healthier than croutons and you still get that awesome texture and crunch! It’s just a simple throw it all together and shake it up kind of recipe, but is oh so delicious!
So, let’s get cooking!
- Bag of Pre-Washed Spinach
- Roma Tomatoes (Half of tomato for each salad you want to make)
- Hard Boiled Eggs (Half of egg for each salad you want to make)
- Cooked Bacon (1 piece of bacon for each salad you want to make)
- Cashews (Pieces or Whole, just sprinkle onto the salad)
- Optional: Top with Leftover Gilled Chicken, Steak or Shrimp
Dressing (This recipe will make about 5-6 servings) –
- 1 Cup of Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Guldens Spicy Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make:
- If making individual salads, add spinach to the bottom of each bowl.
- Make sure to add pepper to your greens, don’t add salt because it will draw out the moisture and make your salad soggy.
- On top of each salad, toss in half of a Roma tomato to each salad you want to make.
- Sprinkle Cashews over the top of each salad.
- Crumble a piece of cooked bacon over each salad.
- Add half of sliced hard boiled egg to each salad you want to make.
- At this point if you are ready to eat, place a lid over each bowl and place in fridge. I usually keep my protein separate and add it on top after I add the dressing.
- In a small saucepan (or you can place in a bowl and microwave for a few seconds to warm up), add olive oil, mustard and salt and pepper and heat up. Use a fork or whisk to keep mixing the dressing in your saucepan as it heats up. If you don’t heat up the dressing it will by clumpy and never become the delicious vinaigrette it was meant to be. 😉
To Serve –
- If you are making the salad to eat later, keep the dressing in a separate container.
- When ready to eat, pour dressing on salad, place a lid over it and give it a good shake. Add your protein on top and it’s ready to serve!
- Enjoy! 🙂
Ellis and Tyler would love to see your family shaking up dinner or show us your Popeye muscles! 🙂 Share your pictures on the Z88.3 Mornings Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com