Hey guys, I can’t wait to share this Quick Family Meal because it’s one of our favorites and it’s all in the crockpot!!! Chicken Tortilla Soup and it’s super easy to make…I promise the hardest thing is dicing the onion and opening cans with the can opener. 😉 Basically just dump everything in and go. My husband loves this soup…it’s spicy (or not, depending on what you add! 🙂 ) and thick and amazing. Perfect to make in the morning and have dinner ready as soon as you walk through the door.
You can use frozen chicken breast and almost everything else is cans that you can keep in your pantry for a super busy weeknight when you need it. There are a few fresh ingredients, that you can grab at the grocery store the night before in order to make it. While you are at it, you can chop them all the night before. Everything for this meal (besides the fresh veggies and the chicken) can be found in two aisles – the canned tomato aisle and the Mexican/taco ingredients aisle.
This is seriously one of my favorite weeknight meals that the kids can help make or make themselves! They just have to follow the ingredient list and dump everything in the crockpot in the morning before you head to work. 🙂
- 1.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (frozen if you are going to cook on low all day; use thawed out chicken breast if you are going to cook on high for 4 hours)
- 1 Red Pepper, 1 Green Pepper and 1 Onion (de-seeded and diced)
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet
- 28 Ounce Can of Crushed or Pureed Tomatoes
- 12-14 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes (I prefer petite fire roasted garlic because of the extra flavoring it adds to your soup!)
- 4-6 Ounce Can of Tomato Paste
- 1 small can of green chiles (found in the taco ingredient area)
- 32 Ounce Box of Low Sodium Chicken Stock (Since we are using so many canned ingredients, I try to save on salt where I can)
- 1 Can Black Beans (Drained…again to wash the extra salt away.)
- 1, 2 or 3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (just add a small one for flavor if you don’t like spice; you can find this in the Mexican food aisle usually close to all the Taco fixins)
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese, Tortilla Chips and Avocado
How to Make:
- Dump everything minus the optional toppings into your crockpot and set on low to cook all day. If you need it ready in 4 or 5 hours, cook on high. Here’s a step by step recipe in pictures:
- Use two forks to pull apart the chicken. Remove the chipotle peppers you added or dice them up and put back in before serving.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like avocado, cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips!
This will be the hit of your next family dinner. And the best part is, dinner is ready when you walk through the door. 🙂 As usual, we’d love to see your family enjoying this meal together. Use #ZRecipes to share the fun with your Z.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com.