Summer can’t be over, yet! I think we should hold onto it as long as possible, and with this week’s Quick Family Recipe, we can! We’re taking it back to the campfire (in the kitchen…ok, it’s the oven 😉 ) and making foil pouch meals!
This is one of those recipes that is fun for the whole family to make together. It’ll give your kids something to do tonight after you eat and then you’re dinner will be ready to throw in the oven as soon as you get home tomorrow night. The best part is the easy clean up. Just throw away your foil and you are pretty much all cleaned up!
The sky is endless with possibilities for a foil pouch meal, but today we are making lemon Greek chicken with herb roasted potatoes!
Everyone gets an individual foil pouch and their whole entire meal is cooked in each pouch. When building them, you want veggies on the bottom and meat on top, so as your food cooks, the delicious drippings from your meat cook down into your veggies. We add the flavoring to the top, so that it has a chance to cook all the way down, too.
This is one of those meals that you’ll be so impressed you made yourself. I know I was! 🙂
Let’s Get Started…
- 3-4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 6-8 Red Potatoes Cleaned and Diced (swap out zucchini and squash instead for a great low carb option and faster cooking time)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Greek Seasoning (or Italian Seasoning)
- Stone Ground or Dijon Mustard
- 2 Lemons
- Fresh Rosemary
How to Make it:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut out about a 12 inch square of tinfoil. The key is here, when you think you have enough, go ahead and give yourself a little more before cutting. 😉
- In a bowl, add your diced red potatoes and a tbsp or 2 of olive oil. Sprinkle in about 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tbsp of your Greek or Italian seasoning. Place lid on and shake shake shake! Rule of thumb, you need about 2 small red potatoes or 1.5 large red potatoes for each person.
- Distribute your potatoes evenly in the middle of each foil wrapper.
- Add a chicken breast on top of your potatoes to each pouch.
- In that same bowl (because we are trying to keep cleanup easy ;), add 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp mustard (Dijon or stone ground), up to 1 tbsp Greek or Italian Seasoning, juice of half lemon and I least add the zest of the half of a lemon, also. Whisk together with a fork and evenly divide over and another each piece of chicken.
- Add 2-3 lemon slices on top of each chicken breast.
- Add a spring of rosemary to the top of each pack.
- Completely seal each side of your foil packs.
- Place on a baking sheet and throw them into the oven on 375 degrees for 45 minutes. If you’d like to be done faster, you can use zucchini and squash chunks under your chicken instead of potatoes and be done on 30ish minutes. 🙂
- Serve each pack on a plate and let everyone enjoy eating out of their very own foil pouch!
- So much fun! Enjoy! 🙂
We’d love to see pictures of your family making these fun foil dinners together. You can share them on Ellis and Tyler’s Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com