This Quick Family Recipe is for all my low carb friends and also for all the mommas in Z Land looking for fun ways to incorporate more veggies into your kids lives! 🙂
Zucchini boats are one of my favorite ways to make dinner more fun! You can use them for all kinds of meals. Today we’re making tacos with our zucchini boats, but we will also make an Italian version late on. Tyler has been challenging me to try to bring her some healthy recipes for her to make for her family. This one is so super easy, just like taco night, but it’s just one extra step. So for this one, we’re making one healthy change. We’re switching out the flour or corn tortillas full of all that processed stuff for vegetables! Everything else about taco night stays the same!
Let’s get started! 🙂
- 6 Zucchini, Cleaned
- 1 lb Ground Chuck (or Ground Turkey or Chicken)
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet
- 1.5 Bags of Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Optional: Whatever taco toppings you like…shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, black olives.
How to Make:
- Preheat your oven to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a cutting board, cut both ends off your zucchini and then cut in half
- Take a spoon and scoop out the seeds in the middle, forming your boat.
- Drizzle with olive oil, place in oven safe dish and put these babies in the oven for about 10 minutes or however long it takes you to do the next step! Do not add salt…this will draw out the moisture and make your zucchini boats mushy. Nobody wants mushy zucchini. 🙂
- Brown your meat and then add taco seasoning packet according to directions (I use the Taco Bell Taco Meat Seasoning Packet and everyone raved about the flavor thinking I had done something uber special. 🙂 ).
- Take out your Zucchini from the oven. They should be softer, but still firm because you are going to cook them again. Still, do not add salt, just like before this will draw out the moisture and make your dish soggy. Also, there is so much salt in the taco seasoning that you won’t even realize your zucchini isn’t salted. 🙂
- Fill each boat with taco meat.
- Cover your zucchini boats in cheese.
- Place it back in the oven until cheese is melted to perfection. Everything is cooked, so you are just waiting for the cheese to melt. 🙂
- Serve on a plate and top with your favorite taco toppings.
- Enjoy! 🙂
We’d love to see your family having fun in the kitchen making this dish. Show us how it turns out…share your pics on Ellis and Tyler’s Facebook page.
Z88.3’s Resident Foodie
Originally posted on Carolbake.com